Hi Everyone! My name is Amanda Chin and I grew up in Columbus, Ohio. I am the oldest of three younger brothers and have a very special place in my heart for my dog, Barney. I graduated from Ohio State University College of Nursing in 2011 and worked for 2 years as a staff pediatric nurse at Nationwide Children's Hospital in Columbus. I always had a dream to move to the West Coast. So, in September 2013, I started my career as a travel nurse and completed an assignment in Oakland, CA as well as Orange County, CA.
This will be my first time at North Star and I am beyond excited to be one of the camp nurses for 2014!
More about Amanda
What is your dream job
- My dream job is to become a pediatric nurse practitioner…living and working near sunshine and beaches :)
A secret hobby or skill that you have?
- I love to karaoke, even if sometimes I don't know all the words. I also learned to surf while living in Huntington Beach.
Your favorite TV character
- Barney from How I Met Your Mother or Olivia Pope from Scandal
If you were stranded on a deserted island, what are three things you'd bring?
- I'd bring my dog, a hammock, and a good pair of tennis shoes.
How did you learn about North Star and why did you apply?
- A nurse practitioner I worked with in the OC worked at North Star as her very first nursing job and said it was one of the best summers of her life. I applied because my nursing friend could not say enough great things about North Star, but most of all, I love working with kids of all ages and I knew this would be a wonderful new experience.
Favorite Sports Teams
What noteworthy/random/menial jobs have you held?
- At 16, My first job was at a pizza place…where my role was to make the spaghetti.
What did you do last summer?
- Last summer, I was preparing to move cross country. This past April-May, I took some time to explore 12 different countries in Europe.
What, if any previous camp experiences have you had?
- In high school, I went to church camp for a week. I've also volunteered at various kids camps over the years.