If it seems like we've got a bunch of staff members from University of Wisconsin - La Crosse, that's because we do... seven in total, including two returners. Evan Mol is another one of our new staff members from UWL. A native of Oconomowoc, WI, Evan is majoring in accounting with the goal of going into international auditing. He's also a resident assistant in the dorms at school.
Evan is an Eagle Scout. He has a love of the outdoors and some of his favorite badges that he earned were in swimming/life saving as well as archery. He also played quite a bit of soccer and tennis up through high school. In addition to being a cabin counselor, Evan will instruct archery and swimming this summer.
More about Evan
How did you learn about North Star and why did you apply?
- I heard about North Star through my campuses job notifications board. I was tentative to apply at first because I’ve never done a summer camp before as a counselor but I asked myself “Would I rather have a summer filled with fun and new experiences? Or would I rather do some manual labor job over and over this summer?” Well you can see the decision I made!
What is your dream job
- As odd as it is for a camp counselor I hope to one day be an international auditor. I’m going to school for Accounting/International Business and I have enjoyed the few times that I have traveled abroad. I love the idea of new adventures and look forward to what my future career could bring.
If you could have lunch with any two people, dead or alive, who would they be?
- I think it would be interesting to have lunch with George Washington to see get understand what kind of vision he had for the United States when it was just forming and see how similar/different it was from the founding fathers ideals. My second lunch guest would be Nelson Mandela. He was a revolutionary man and his conviction for what he stood for is admirable so it would be an honor to be able to sit and listen to his life story.
If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and what would you do there?
- I think that I would want to travel to the Seychelles Islands which are located east of African continent. I would then sail (after extensive practice/training) around the islands and the Indian Ocean. I like the idea of open waters and the beauty of the area.
If you were stranded on a deserted island, what are three things you'd bring?
- If I were stranded on a deserted island with no hope of rescue I think that a tarp would be one of the items that I would bring with me. Not only would it provide me with protection from the sun but when I constructed a raft it might be a good tool for keeping items protected from the salt water. My second item would either be a small ax. This would be useful for self-defense from any potentialpredators, stripping bark, and acquiring wood for fire. Finally, I would make sure to have some sort of fire creating tool. My preference would be for flint and steel because it is effective. Fire is necessary for water purification, warmth, and a way of cooking any meat I would be able to scrounge.
What sports team(s) that you root for?
- I am big into sports and being from Wisconsin I always root for the Green and Gold! However, soccer has always been my biggest passion in life so whenever I get the chance to view a U.S. National teams game I will root for the U.S. Admittedly, during the world cup once the U.S. was eliminated I did root for my second favorite national team which is Germany.
What noteworthy/random/menial jobs have you held?
- I’d say the “worst” job that I held was that I did a summer paint crew one year. Every day it was the same thing and it got just to the point of being exhausting. Scrape, prime, and paint… over and over and over. It gets pretty boring after some time.
What did you do last summer?
- Last summer I worked as a business office intern at an assisted living facility in Milwaukee. The main function of my job was to conduct an internal audit of the company’s vendors. As boring as it sounds I actually found it quite fun because it was like being a detective. I got to look back through records and then investigate if items were actually purchased.
What, if any previous camp/outdoor experiences have you had?
- I had extensive scouting experience in my younger years with camp and other outdoor excursions. My favorite part about being in the scouts was the many camping trips that we were able to go on along with the multitude of merit badges that were available to be earned. I went to summer camp twice as a scout where both times I had phenomenal times completing merit badges and being able to camp out with fellow scouts.