Tinley Park, IL native Garrett Sprutta joins the North Star trip staff for his first summer at camp. Garrett started camping as a youngster. His parents took him and his twin brother on their first camping trip when they were six months old. He took several trips to the Boundary Waters (Minnesota) throughout high school, and during the summer after his senior year, he and his brother took his mom and aunt on a Boundary Waters trip.
Currently a junior at Bradley University, Garrett is a resident assistant. He also helped start the backpacking club, which he is the vice president of. He helps oversee many different logistical facets of the program and also has led trips for other students at Bradley. We're excited to have him as a trip leader this summer!
More about Garrett
How did you learn about North Star and why did you apply?
- My twin brother was the one who told me about North Star and encouraged me to apply for camp. Aside from my brother's motivation, I applied for North Star because I've always wanted to work at a camp and be able to share my passions for the outdoors with others.
What is your dream job
- My dream job is to be an entrepreneur. I would like to start a nonprofit that would bring different forms of alternative energies to third world countries.
If you could have lunch with any two people, dead or alive, who would they be?
- I would want to meet and have lunch with Tom Hanks and John Muir.
If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and what would you do there?
- I would travel to Germany to see the history and architecture.
If you were stranded on a deserted island, what are three things you'd bring?
- I would have to bring my hammock, iPod, and my favorite book, The Green Mile.
What sports team(s) that you root for?
- I love the Chicago Cubs and this past season, I started to follow the Green Bay Packers.
What noteworthy/random/menial jobs have you held?
- I grew up doing lawn care with my brother for people in my neighborhood. We started the company 'Sprutta Bros' when we were ten years old!
What did you do last summer?
- Last summer I traveled to California for the first time, and I work odd jobs at my school.
What, if any previous camp/outdoor experiences have you had?
- I'm been camping since I was six months old, and I've been to many amazing places including Big Bend N.P., Zion N.P., and Denali N.P.