Mike Major joins the NSC staff for his first summer. Mike grew up in Blaine, MN, which is just north of the Minneapolis. His family has a cabin in Spooner, WI, which is about 45 minutes from North Star, and this is where he learned how to waterski. Mike will be teaching waterskiing himself at camp this summer.
Mike is currently finishing his freshman year at the University of Minnesota, where he's studying computer science while minoring in leadership. Through high school he was a three sport athlete, playing baseball, basketball and football. During 1st semester Mike was a member of the Univ of Minnesota Woman's basketball scout team. He spent last summer working with special education students at a middle school near his home.
More about Mike
How did you learn about North Star and why did you apply?
- I heard about North Star through the University of Minnesota Gold Pass Website, where employers can reach students. After just five minutes on the North Star website, I knew that being a camp counselor was an opportunity I couldn't pass up on.
What is your dream job?
- Well, I love being outdoors, but I also love developing software because it is fascinating. My dream job would be developing software that will be implemented in machines or other technologies that are used outdoors.
If you could have lunch with any two people, dead or alive, who would they be?
- Abraham Lincoln and J.K. Rowling, because they persisted through several failures to eventually become great success stories. Plus, I LOVE the Harry Potter series.
If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and what would you do there?
- I would travel to several Spanish speaking countries and immerse myself in the language that I have been trying to become fluent in. Spain, Costa Rica, and Argentina at the top of my list.
If you were stranded on a deserted island, what are three things you'd bring?
- A frisbee, a machete, and a hammock.
What sports team(s) that you root for?
- It depends where I am. If I'm at home in Blaine, MN, skol Vikings! However, if I'm at the cabin in Spooner, WI, go Pack go!
What noteworthy/random/menial jobs have you held?
- I have enjoyed working event staff security around the Twin Cities for a year now. I also had a blast as a youth baseball, basketball, and football camp coordinator throughout high school.
What did you do last summer?
- I served as a summer school paraprofessional for special education students at Centennial Middle School in Circle Pines, MN.
What, if any previous camp/outdoor experiences have you had?
- I have grown up water skiing, four-wheeling, fishing, and hiking at my family's cabin in Spooner, WI.