Well hi! My name is Jeff McCormack and I am the CIT (Counselor In Training) Director and “disc golf guy” at North Star. This will be my 21st summer on staff. In my role as the CIT Director, I support the CITs as they make the transition from camper to counselor. As the disc golf guy, I head up the disc golf program and maintain the disc golf course (let me know if you see a wasp nest on the course…I’ll take care of it).
I hail from Westminster (a suburb of Denver), Colorado. During the year I teach Special Education for 18-21 year old young adults with disabilities (I have the most amazing students!). I’ve been married to Kim McCormack for 13 years and we have two children, Lake (11) and Summer (3). We also bring our super sweet, but shy dog Osa (we hope she's more brave and social this summer). Looking forward to seeing everybody very soon for the Summer of 2016!
More about Jeff
If you could be any animal (besides a human) what would you be and why?
- My favorite animal is the Rhino. I think they are amazing animals. Big, powerful, gentle giants, great parents and agile for their size!
What is my favorite cartoon character:
- Some people might be surprised to hear that it's actually NOT Spongebob Squarepants these days. I'm a big fan of the movie the Incredibles and love the entire Incredibles family, but especially Mr. Incredible/Bob Parr.
Where is your favorite spot in camp:
- It's a given that Council Ring will always hold a special place in my heart, but I love being on the North Star Disc Golf Course with campers and staff. I'm also kind of partial to the Ball Shack these days.
What is my dream job:
- I feel like I'm working my dream job every summer at North Star! Other than camp, I think it would be cool to buy an amazing plot of land and open up a "pay to play" disc golf destination with a pro-shop/restaurant, and try to make the disc golf experience just like the ball golf experience. I also wouldn't mind being the new host of Man vs. Food.
If I had a super power, what would it be:
- I would have to go with Teleportation. Would be so nice to have the ability to go anywhere that I wanted, whenever I wanted! Big fan of the movie "Jumper".
What is the best Christmas/Hanukkah present that you've ever gotten:
- I remember that it was a big deal when I got a bike when I was kid. Also, one year I got a super sweet Chicago Bears Starter jacket (back then, those were the cooooolest!).
What is your preferred chicken nugget sauce?
- There is no better nugget/fry dip than Chick Fil-A sauce!
What are your top three movies of all time:
1. The Great Outdoors (reminds me of my summers at Pine Crest resort as a kid...right across the lake from NSC).
2. Dumb and Dumber (I could watch it 20 times and still crack up every time, it never gets old).
3. Rocky IV (Rocky vs. Drago...I still get goosebumps when Rocky's training old school!).
What's your go-to pie at the Norske Nook:
- It's gotta be warm Pecan with a scoop of Vanilla ice cream. That's heaven on a plate right there.
What is a little known fact about yourself:
- I'm a "sun sneezer". Something about the sun, first thing in the morning always makes me sneeze! I passed this trait on to Lake, and he's a sun sneezer, too.
Share one notable camp memory:
- Oh there have been so many! It's really too hard to pinpoint just one. Probably the thing that I look forward to the most each year is singing Forest Green by the campfire on Friday nights at the Council Ring. The sun going down, the smoke of the fire, everybody with their arms over each others' shoulders...it's a special experience every time.