Salem Matzinger joins us for her first summer at camp. A native of Maine, she headed across the country to go to school and is currently a student at the University of California - Santa Cruz. Salem is a big outdoor enthusiast. She grew up horseback riding, sailing and camping. She also took a month long NOLS trip to Alaska. She also swam competitively. Salem join the NSC staff as an activity instructor and she'll also be helping out in our office.
More about Salem
How did you learn about North Star and why did you apply?
- I learned about camp through the UCSC outdoor recreation department. Since I love the outdoors and camp I decided to apply and find out if this would be a good place to spend the summer.
If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?
0 I would be a white tiger because they are beautiful powerful and awesome.
What is your favorite cartoon Character:
- My favorite cartoon character is Scooby-doo!
What is your dream Job:
- My dream job would involve traveling the world. I would like to see new faces and go on new adventures everyday.
If you had a super hero power, what would it be:
- I would be invincible
What noteworthy/random/menial jobs have you held?
- I worked in a barn in exchange for horse riding lessons.
What are your top three movies of all time:
- Oliver and Company, Dead Poet Society, and one of the Harry Potter movies
What did you do last summer?
- I worked, rode my horses, and hung out with friends.
What is a little Known fact about yourself:
- I am named after Lord of the Rings. My middle name is Eowyn.
What, if any previous camp/outdoor experiences have you had?
- I went to an Adventure Camp a few times it included rock climbing, sea kayaking, and white water rafting. Two summers ago I went on a 30-day backpacking trip through Wrangle-St Elias National Park.