Diana Morales comes from the multicultural state of Oaxaca, Mexico, cradle of the Guelaguetza, Zapotec language and many other indigenous languages. Currently, she is studying Languages Teaching (language acquisition specialist) at the Universidad Autónoma “Benito Juárez” de Oaxaca.
She loves pizza, take nature pictures, singing, long walks, reading adventure books, listen music and dance like a weird robot. We welcome Diana to our kitchen staff this summer!
More about Diana
How did you learn about North Star and why did you apply?
- I decided to apply for a summer camp job because many of my friends told me about their wonderful experiences at different camps and because I think this is an amazing opportunity to make friends and learn about their culture. I learned about North Star on internet and I have to say that it looks awesome and I cannot wait to be there!!
What is your dream job?
- Being a language teacher, do research about indigenous languages and travel to make people aware about the importance that my culture has.
If you could have lunch with any two people, dead or alive, who would they be?
- Tim Burton and Oscar Wilde. I love their artwork and their eccentricities.
If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would you go and what would you do there?
- I would love to go to Iceland! It's such a magical country. I would take pictures of the waterfalls, volcanoes, geysers, glaciers and festivals.
If you were stranded on a deserted island, what are three things you'd bring?
- Dora the explorer backpack (there is everything I might need).
What sports team(s) that you root for?
- My national soccer team *Mexico* and Manchester United.
What noteworthy/random/menial jobs have you held?
- Every December my family and I make traditional piñatas. Support teacher in an Elementary School and my own University. I worked as volunteer at various collection centers and collected food for people affected by hurricanes. I belong to a group of friends to rescue homeless animals, we take care of them and find them a nice home with loving people. I am also a story teller for children. Waitress at Italian Coffee Company.
What did you do last summer?
- I worked as a support teacher but also went to the mountain with friends.
What, if any previous camp/outdoor experiences have you had?
- I love long walks, jogging, climbing trees and I used to go fishing with my father. I also survived to being lost at a mountain for eight hours with just a bottle of water, chips and two great friends (does that count? Sounds terrible but it wasn't that bad, actually it was a very funny experience to remember).