Rutland, IL native Kyle Salz joins the North Star staff for his first summer. Currently a student at Western Illinois University, he's majoring in Recreation, Parks and Tourism. Last year he participated in a several month Eco trip through Canada, the US and into Mexico. He's also active in sports, having umpired baseball, coached an under 18 baseball team for two years, and coached 5th and 6th grade volleyball teams. At camp Kyle will be a cabin counselor instructing pathfinders and athletics.
More about Kyle
How did you learn about North Star and why did you apply?
- At Western Illinois University summer camp job fair where I meet Dan. I applied because it had both sports and the outdoors mixed together and would be a great fit more my skills.
If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?
- Bald Eagle since it would be awesome to be able to fly around and see everything.
What is your favorite cartoon Character:
- Sponge bob
What is your dream Job:
- Working for the Chicago Cubs
If you had a super hero power, what would it be:
I would want to be able to control the weather.
What noteworthy/random/menial jobs have you held?
What are your top three movies of all time:
- Saving Private Ryan, American Sniper, Field of Dreams
What did you do last summer?
- Worked on the farm mostly mowing and weed eating.
What is a little Known fact about yourself:
- That when there are storms around I like to go storm chasing.
What, if any previous camp/outdoor experiences have you had?
- In the fall of 2015 I went on Environmental Conservation and Outdoor Education Expedition (ECOEE) through the at Western Illinois University. Where we traveled to Canada and canoed in Missinaibi Provincial Park in Ontario for 28 days. Then went out to the western United States to a lot of the National Parks. Down into Baja California, Mexico sea kayaking on the Gulf of California for 10 days. We camped for all these days as we traveled from place to place.